The Research, Publication, and Ethics Directorate is working to initiate, facilitate, and manage research efforts and disseminate research outputs. The directorate manages all research and publication activities in collaboration with colleges, institutes, and schools. The research activities have been oriented to address national and international research agendas in collaboration with financial and technical endeavors. The research shall be conducted in the most cost-effective and ethical manner, and be interdisciplinary in its scope. The directorate identified 12 key thematic/priority areas of research with the aim of enhancing and encouraging actions that pursue to generate a body of knowledge and resolve socio-economic problems. The Directorate envisions ensuring food security and public well-being through access to quality education, ethical commitment, and indigenous knowledge development.
Every academic unit carries out a range of research activities under priority research areas. The university offers annual grants to encourage and nurture a culture of research among academic staff and students. The research outputs have been presented at seminars and annual conferences organized by the university and/or other agents. In order to strengthen the research efforts, the University has established six field Research Centers working mainly on Agriculture (improved crop and livestock production) and law.
Publication Valuable pieces of research have been conducted to provide timely and necessary information within a range of different fields. These research findings are published in locally and internationally indexed journals. Since 2010, more than 250 articles have been published.
Key Responsibility of the directorate:
- Ensure a uniform research administration in the various units of the University.
- Pools resources and efforts and focuses on research; plays a role in coordinating the research process; mainly on improving facilities and efficiency in the research system.
- Primarily serves the interests of the scientific and technical staffs as the director is the main liaison between the research programs and the top management, and works to improve research opportunities, funding and working conditions.
- The Directorate helps in developing long-range strategies; maintain communication with relevant partners, and assists the ARTTCSVP in all matters pertaining to research.
- Specifically works to transfer research results to be applicable, reviewing the contents of research projects, allocation of funds, distribution of space and facilities.
- Manages, coordinates and supervises the production of publications in the ARTTCSVP office.
- Supports the production of journals, proceedings, periodicals and other scholarly publications by academic units and plans budget estimates of printing for journals and others.
- Facilitates the subscription of journals established in the university in collaboration with other University’s and data bases.
- Establishes and keeps documentation system (digital and printed repository) for research projects and publications.
- Monitors quality of publication, documentation and appropriate dissemination of research outputs.
- Organizes and facilitates conferences, workshops, seminars, symposia, and other avenues.
- Plan and coordinate all the research related activities in the research Centres.
- Establishing institutional linkages and partnerships with stakeholders and collaborators.
- Executes other activities when required.
Director: Meseret Belachew Addisie (PhD)