Student Admissions and Related Matters
Admissions to Undergraduate Programs
- Admissions and/or placements from preparatory schools to all regular undergraduate programs are processed through the Ministry of Education of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia until such time that the University establishes its own admissions policies and procedures and implements it.
- Admissions to undergraduate programs of any institution from preparatory schools shall be based on completion of the preparatory program and obtaining the necessary pass marks in the Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Examination (EHEE).
- Admissions may also be granted to students completing their secondary education in foreign countries on the basis of equivalent academic achievements that shall be determined by the Ministry.
- In certain circumstances the university may admit students jointly with other affiliated universities or institutes. Such admission may be processed at any time of the academic calendar as deemed appropriate. Students may also be admitted to more than one program at the same time. However, criteria for such special admissions to individual programs shall be developed and recommended by SC/DC and endorsed by the admission and placement committee (APC).
- Without prejudice to other provisions of DTU legislation and other applicable laws, every institution shall admit:
- for undergraduate studies, technical and vocational education and training graduates with pertinent qualifications and who satisfy entrance qualifications assessment set by the Ministry of Education;
- Admissions and enrolments to all programs are processed by the University Registrar in consultation with the academic units concerned and by the decision of the Senate.
Admission Requirements for Full-time Degree Programs
Placement into departments of each college/faculty/school shall be decided as per the criteria set by the Ministry of Education.
Special admission criteria developed by the Academic Unit Council and approved by the APC may be employed for special admissions of females, mature students and for upgrading programs. Mature applicants who have completed secondary education may also be eligible for admission to regular undergraduate programs provided that:
- They have records of continuous employment for a minimum of 5 years, their work relate to the field of training to which they seek admission, and have proof of demonstrable achievement in their careers;
- Private applicants who fulfill admission requirements as regular students and produce evidence of financial support to cover full tuition fees and other expenses may apply for admission into the regular program. However, such admissions should be approved by the AVP; but such admission shall not exceed 5% of the total students admitted in such a program.
- They pass an entrance examination to be administered by the relevant departments;
- Under no circumstances shall private admissions to regular programs do not exceed 5% of the total students admitted in such a program;
- A student who has successfully finished a set of particular modules which entitles him/her to a degree may also peruse other related modules and earn another degree continuously. Details guidelines shall be worked out by Academic Standard and program
Review Committee (ASPRC).
- Other special admissions, such as people from disadvantaged areas, physically challenged people, people needing special training etc are granted by the decisions of AVP.
- In order to attract potentially resourceful candidates, special admissions criteria are employed by some programs as specified hereunder or other details shall be worked out by the APC.
Admission Requirements for Continuing Education Program (CEP)
Applicants who qualify under the following criteria may be admitted to continuing education programs:
- Possess a passing mark for entrance to higher education, which is decided by the Ministry of Education each year.
- Candidates must have completed high school or must be in possession of its equivalent qualification;
- Must pass entrance examination to be administered by the University where applicable;
- Must fulfill the requirements set by the Ministry of Education and the University.
- Admissions to all undergraduate continuing education programs shall be processed through the University Registrar taking into account criteria set for such admissions in consultation with the college/faculty/school AUC with the approval of the Senate:
University employees and their dependents can apply and register in the continuing education Programs and other special programs as per the rules and regulations of the University. A maximum of two administration staff and their dependents of the University may be admitted into each department each year on competitive bases.
Admission to the Graduate Program (GP)
- 93.1.1. A candidate who has a high scholastic standing, whose professional experience has been superior and who has received good recommendations shall be given priority for admission. Moreover, priorities in admission may be granted to government sponsors as per the pressing need of the government.
- The minimum intake of a Master program shall be five students. However, the optimum (minimum and maximum) number of students in the different graduate programs shall be determined by the respective SC/DC taking into consideration the number of staff, availability of space and demand for training.
- The academic unit may, from time to time, include additional admission requirements in conformity with University rules and regulations. These may be of general application or may pertain to specific programs of graduate studies.
Admission Requirements for the Masters Programs
- The applicant must have completed the academic requirements for the Bachelors Degree in the specific/related field(s) of study at the University or any other recognized institution of higher learning as recommended in the respective curriculum.
- The applicant must meet satisfactorily the selection criteria which may include the entrance examination to be administered by the academic units concerned.
Foreign applicants may, in lieu of sitting for entrance examination, submit results of GRE/TOEFL/IELTS or equivalent, language proficiency examinations, for applicants whose undergraduate medium of instruction is not English, etc.
Necessary Documents in Admission time
- 8th grade Certificate
- 9-12th grade transcript
- 10th and 12th grade (EHEE) Certificate
- Two 3×4 size photograph
- Application form
- Experience letter (For Diploma applicants)
- COC( For level IV,V)