Debre Tabor University is one of the third-generation universities launched at a historically valuable town, Debre Tabor. This town is one of the ancient towns of Ethiopia which is located at the foot of Mount Guna. Mt. Guna is the third highest mountain called ‘the water tower of Ethiopia’ whose wet breathing helped the town much to take advantage point in keeping its surrounding conducive to live in. The elderly people of this town assume that the town was established during the reign of King Seifared in 1350 E. C.
History has also registered that Debre Tabor town was the capital of Ethiopia in the 1950s during the reign of Emperor Tewodros II, who is currently the symbol of unity and hero of the millennium for Ethiopians. This king built the first African industrial village at a place called Gafat (some five kilometers from Debre Tabor), where the first Ethiopian-made artillery (Sevastopol) was produced.
Debre Tabor University (DTU) was established in 2008/2001 E.C. on 126 hectares of land in the eastern part of Debre Tabor town about 3 kilometers away from its center. However, its training mission delayed for three years and began in 2011/2004 Eth. C. Since then, DTU is ambitiously working hard to overcome its training mission successfully by extending its departments on the basis of the needs and interests of the society and the country as well.
DTU has established an Institutional Quality Enhancement and Assurance Office, which is responsible to assure and maintain the quality of the entire academic and support activities in the university. Currently, the Directorate is developing a quality assurance policy or framework that clearly spells out principles, guidelines, and procedures for implementing institutional quality assurance process. The policy incorporates both internal and external quality management strategies and puts into place its relationship with other related national policies. Above all, the policy document serves as an overall guiding and governing document in line with the Senate Legislation of Debre Tabor University.
The goal of Institutional Quality Enhancement and Assurance Directorate is to support the University’s efforts to achieve its vision and mission through the development and implementation of academic and administrative programs that meet national and international quality indicators or standards.
Duties and Responsibility
The Institutional Quality Enhancement and Assurance Directorate has the following duties and responsibilities.
- Identifying gaps (attitude, knowledge, and skills) of the academic and support staffs
- Scrutinizing thematic areas for quality enhancement
- Organizing short-term trainings for both students and the university community
- Ensuring that academic programs of the university are based on national polices
- Designing and prepare quality-related policies and procedures to strengthen the quality of academic programs and support services
- Monitoring and evaluating the teaching and learning process, researches, and community outreaches
- Ensuring that the activities of the institution are in line with the needs of the society, employers, and students
- Designing a strategy to conduct quality audit on the major processes of the institution
- Empowering colleges and support staffs to develop quality culture in their day-to-day- activities
- Auditing the institution in terms of inputs, process and outputs
- Conducting program- level audits
- Conducting institutional audit, and prepare self- assessment audit at least once in four years
- Evaluating curriculums based on national standards and policies
- Providing guidance in the development and implementation of internal and external quality assurance procedures and practices.
- Promoting sense of ownership on quality in all processes
- Organizing quality- based forums, workshops and seminars
- Designing corrective, prevention and improvement actions for the defects observed in the institution
- Undertaking other relevant duties given by the president
Areas of Internal Quality Assurance
- Quality of Academic Programs and Courses
- Quality of Academic Staff
- Quality of Teaching and Learning Experience
- Quality of Learning Resources and Facilities
- Quality of Research and Community Outreaches
- Quality of Administration and Support Staff
- Quality of Student Admission and Support Services
- Quality of Information Communication System
External Quality Assurance Mechanism
Quality of educational programmes shall be assured through External Examiners by any of the following bodies.
- External examiners assigned by MoE
- External accreditation agencies
- External professional bodies