- Anegagregn Gashaw Ferede, PhD
- President, Debre Tabor University
- Tel : +251904950657
About Anegagregn Gashaw
A Brief Overview of Debre Tabor University
Debre Tabor University is one of the comprehensive universities launched at a historically valuable town – Debre Tabor. This town is one of the ancient towns of Ethiopia which is located at the foot of Mount Guna. Mt. Guna is the third highest mountain called “the water tower of Ethiopia” whose wet breathing helped the town much to take advantage point in keeping its surrounding conducive to live in.
The elderly people of this town assume that the town was established during the reign of King Seifared in 1350 E. C., and that it was named so, as a result of the king’s religious visit to Israel and its semblance with Mt. Tabor in it. History has also registered that Debre Tabor town was the capital of Ethiopia in the 1950s during the reign of Emperor Tewodros II, who is currently the symbol of unity and hero of the millennium for Ethiopians. This king built the first African industrial village at a place called Gafat (some five kilometers from Debre Tabor), where the first Ethiopian-made artillery (Sevastopol) was produced.
The town is nowadays the capital of South Gondar, which is one of the thirteen administrative zones of Amhara Regional State found in the north-western part of Ethiopia. Debre Tabor town is about 99 kilometers away from Bahir Dar, the capital city of the region. With regard to the means of living of the people of Debre Tabor town, the majority earn their living by engaging mainly in business activities, some in civil services, and still very few engage in different agricultural activities like poultry and dairy farming.
Our region (Amhara National Regional State) is an affluent region with cultural and tourist-attractive sites like The Lalibela Rock Hewn Churches, The Gondar Castles, the Semien National Park, the Tis Esat Fall, and other religious places that accumulate enormous cultural and religious records. Debre Tabor University (DTU) was established in 2008/2001 E.C. on 126 hectares of land in the eastern part of Debre Tabor town, about 3 kilometers away from its center.
Debre Tabor University has five colleges (College of Health Sciences, College of Social Sciences and Humanities, College of Natural Sciences, College of Business and Economics, and College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences), one faculty (Technology Faculty), and two schools (medical school and law school). When the university started its work, it was teaching 628 undergraduate programs at Wereta Agricultural College. It is now expanding its enrollment capacity to educate more than 18,000 students in first, second, and third degrees through 75 regular and extension education programs.
Debre Tabor University also established seven research centers that will benefit farmers in the South Gondar Zone. Apple Development Research Center in Hagere Genet, Guna Tana Integrated Field Research and Development Center in Awuzet, Ebnat Research Center, Kuhar Fish Livestock Project, Semada Research Center, Poultry farm and free law and psychosocial aid center in Guna begemider district were the most important and successful research centers.
Debre Tabor University has scored various achievements;
- The university warded the “Highest, Most Appreciative award of certificate” from Ethiopian quality award agency in 2020 G.C.
- DTU Join and become a member of the Austrian African Research Network/Africa UniNet.
- DTU awarded certificate of accreditation from Ethiopian ministry of health.
- In March 2022 G.C, the University was awarded a trophy and a certificate by the Ministry of Health and Defense for its outstanding contribution to the national existence campaign.
- The university won Ethiopian quality award in October 2022 G.C.
- In 2020 G.C, the university has received certificates of appreciation from the Bureau of Health and the regional government for its contribution to the protection of COVID-19.
- Students of Anesthesia have been able to pass 100% of the qualification test administered by the Ministry of Health for four consecutive years.
- Debre Tabor University has gained international recognition for our health professors in accordance with a joint agreement with the Global Education Exchange in Medicine and Health Professions GEMx.
- DTU has partnered with Human Bridge International Charity to provide modern hospital facilities to the South Gondar Zone primary hospitals and successfully addressed 12 primary hospitals according to the MoU.